As Maricopa embarks on a focused strategy to enhance student success, SCC is deeply involved every step of the way. Guided Pathways for Success (GPS) is a small part of Maricopa’s overall institutional Transformation. GPS provides a clear program of study that simplifies students’ choices and enables them to complete credentials quickly.
A car’s dashboard gives you a summary of your speed, fuel and mileage and makes you a better driver. Likewise, a guided pathway gives the student a summary of course sequences, educational milestones and miles to the next destination.
Students are more likely to succeed when they know exactly what they need to do to complete a certificate or degree.
Students are more apt to complete or transfer if they:
- Choose a program early and follow a simple academic plan
- Have a clear road map of courses needed to complete a credential
- Can schedule their courses with minimal conflict
- Receive frequent and consistent support and guidance from a single point person
- Experience greater equity in future earnings if they are underrepresented and/or first generation
Each year, SCC loses more than half its students. SCC is in the 13th percentile for persistence. It’s time for change.
What does it look like for SCC? We know every college in the system has its own unique culture. And at SCC, we want to honor our culture as we implement a guided pathways model. That means the GPS Team will work with every department on campus to weave new techniques, best practices and protocols into existing practices. It’s a large undertaking, one that touches every part of the college.